Zip line imagesZip line imagesZip line imagesZip line images

Zip Line Blog

Wears Valley History

Posted on December 31, 1969

Guests at our Wears Valley ziplines are always impressed by the community we call home. With its picture-postcard views, laid-back lifestyle and proximity to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, it’s no wonder that people are curious about this special little corner of the Smokies.

The cove was originally settled by Aaron Crowson, who came to the area from North Carolina in 1792. In fact, the community was originally known as Crowson Cove, but by 1900, folks were calling it Wears Valley, in honor of Revolutionary War veteran Samuel Wear, who built a fort at the entrance to the valley in the 1700s. However, it was Crowson who received the original land grant for present-day Wears Valley in exchange for his contributions in fighting the native Cherokee inhabitants of the day.

Throughout the 1800s, more and more white settlers began to stake claims in the area. In 1934, however, the national park was established, and that started to bring tourism to the mountains. Businesses like cabin rentals and outdoor–supply stores began to spring up to meet the needs of the new influx of visitors.

Of course, as neighboring Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg turned into tourism powerhouses in the late 1900s, Wears Valley continued to receive its share of those cities’ overflow guests. But the community has managed to avoid overdevelopment, choosing instead to maintain its quiet charm as part of the “peaceful side of the Smokies.”

At Wears Valley Zipline Adventures, our mountainside attraction helps guests enjoy some of those peaceful assets by offering some of the best views in the area.

 

This content posted by Wears Valley Zipline Adventures. Please remember to bookmark www.wearsvallyziplines.com so you can check the latest info and offers.

 

Powered by Stone Oak Web